Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Bird feeders


Morning Meeting....
Did you do something kinds for someone yesterday? Everyone had to write on the yes or no side. We counted up the most votes and found that yes had 12 votes and no had 3 votes.
Shape/color matching. We love this little game we play on a regular basis.

Math.....
Goldilocks and the Three Squares by Grace Maccarone. "Visiting the pentagon-shaped house of the three Squares, Goldie Locks is amazed by the cottage's geometrically shaped furniture and remembers an important mathematical fact just in time to escape when the Squares come home."

Recognizing shapes. Beth drew shapes on the whiteboard and the kids had to decide if she was drawing rectangles or not. Squares are part of the rectangle family so those counted too. She drew triangles as well. Those are not rectangles. We then worked with popcicle sticks to make some shapes.


We also did an activity that required us to walk around the room and find objects in the room that were circles or  hexagons. Here are some things kids found that were of those shapes.
Taber "I found a hexagon cup."
Nora "I found a dot shaped like a circle."
Sailor "I found a block like a hexagon."
Ehtan "I found a circle that was a ice cream cone with a circle on it."
Willow "I found a hexagon picture."
Lenora "I found a circle that was a cup."
Stella "I found a hexagon picture."
Jack "I found a picture of a hexagon on the tree fort."
Else "I found a hexagon stop sign."
Sedsel "I found a circle that was a lego."
Baden "I found a block that was a circle."
Ashlyn "I found a circle that was on a chart
Thayer "I found a top of a play dough that was a circle."
River "I found a marker shaped like a circle."
Zoe " I found a clock shaped like a circle."
Skyler "I found a circle in our circle."

Language Arts....
Letter match, we are so awesome at our letter recognition and we are really getting those sounds! If you find yourself in the car, at dinner, on your way to go skiing with your child, ask them what sounds the letters make. For example, what sound does Tt make? They are very proud of what they know!
Echo joined us today and reviewed all of the letters we know. Echo is so good at getting the attention of the kids and they love to "echo" what he says.
Echo's cousin came in to teach us our new letter. Today we learned the letter Ww.

Break Out At the Bug Lab  by Ruth Horowitz. "Max, a giant coakroach, is on the loose in the bug lab! To make matters worse, there’s a party there today. Leo and his brother have to find Max before he makes people scream — or worse."

Who were the characters? 
Cockroach, Max, Leo
What is the setting of the story?
Zoe "At the lab."
What was the problem?
Sedsel "The cockroach got out."
How did they solve it?
Jack "They found him."


Stella brought in a sea shell. 
Lenora "Is it a crab shell?"
Stella "Yeah."
Taber "is it real?"
Stella "yeah."
Jack "Can you hear the ocean in it?"


Sailor "This is my grandmas bell and this is my stuffy."
Willow "I like the bell and the penguin."
Else "Does the bell have a ringy dingy inside it."
Sailor "Yes."
Zoe "Does the penguin make sounds at all?
Sailor "no."



Zoe brought in her light up Christmas necklace.
Thayer "where did you get it?"
Zoe "The elves game it to us."
Willow "How did the elf deliver it?"
Zoe "We have a calendar with pockets in it and the elves delivered it."
Sailor "Where did you find it in your house?"
Zoe "It was in the calendar."

Kindness activity....
We made pine cone bird feeders with peanut butter and bird seed to bring home to hang up and put up for birds to have.
Choose your pine cone.

Smear the peanut butter all over the pinecone.

Roll the peanut butter covered pine cone in the bird seed. Ta da! 


No comments:

Post a Comment