Thursday, December 15, 2016

Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel



In math we have been measuring objects in the room with unifix cubes. Looking at objects that are the same, shorter and longer than the cube stacks we make. We have also been practicing writing our numbers, counting by tens and working on doing finger flashes for the teens.
Dreidel dreidel dreidel... we played the dreidel game in math today. They really seemed to enjoy it a lot.


We have also been learning about different holiday traditions. We have learned a bit about the dreidel. We learned about mitzvah's, which is doing something nice or helpful for someone.  We made cute ornaments that we are giving to some community members for the holidays. We read the book Happy Hanukkah, Curious George.






In Language Arts we have been making deeper connections to stories we have read before.  Taking the time to talk with a partner and listen to each other while discussing parts of the book, similar to going to a "book club" with friends.   We are able to notice if kids are able to:
1.) Stay on topic
2.) Sit with partner according to the lesson
3.) Taking turns talking
4.) Use the language taught, "this reminds me of..." or "I have a connection to this part..."
5.) Talk to the whole class and retell what your partners connection to the book is.

Here is what some of the kids had to say...
Grady- "Reminds me of the time I read this when I was little. It reminds me of the time I tried to make something.
Earl- "This reminds me of when my dog bit the ear off my stuffed animal."
Ryan- "This reminds me of when I loss one of my stuffed animals a lot."
Eli-"I am reminded of when I lost my sunglasses.
West-"It reminds me of planting carrots with my family.
Kam-"It reminds me of when I lost my favorite toy dinosaur."
Mazie - "It reminds me of when I was walking to the Christmas store with my dad."
Max- "It reminds me of when I lost my dalmation dog."

 
Partner reading



REMINDERS....
Kids are excited to bring coins in for the "Elf Project."  For more information see the latest bulletin.


First graders, Acadia and Addison collecting coins. Thanks girls!






Please continue to send your child in with appropriate clothing for going outside.

WE ARE IN NEED OF GLASS JELLY JARS or similar size glass jars for a class project next week. If you have any you are willing to part with please feel free to send some in with your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment