Monday, October 23, 2017

Structure and Function

What's the News?
Sailor -- "I went to Woods Inn."
Ethan -- "Yesterday I went out for lunch and went to a place where there were rocks and stuff."
Else -- "I just stayed home."
Ashlyn -- "The news is I snuggled with my mommy."
Zoe -- "I just signed up for horseback ridding lessons."
Luca --"I climbed from there all the way up the mountain."
River --"I went to my friends yesterday."
Stella --"I snuggled with my mom."
Nora --"I found a caterpillar on our road."
Jack -- "I went to a Halloween party. I got to have a cookie."
Narumi -- "I went to a birthday party who turned 4."
Thayer -- "I moved. I had to pack up all my stuff in a big truck."
Taber -- "I went on a hike with my mom."

MATH....
Flash dots! Practice makes perfect.  After flash dots we used unifix cubes to build number sentences.  Then we learned our new number "6" and practiced writing it.

Sharing Time
Nora shared about a wooley bear caterpillar that she brought in to class.  Here are some of the questions that kids asked her about it.

River "Where did you find it?"
Nora -"on the road
Jack "was it in the driveway or in rocks"
Nora Rocks
Taber 'How big is it?"
Nora "that big (showing with her fingers"
Zoe "did you find it?"
Nora "yes"
Ethan "how did you find it.?'
I was about to step and it was right at my toes
River - were you playing?
Nora No just walking. I saw your dad!
Ashlyn "So, was it like really hard pavement?
Nora "no, its stone."
Nora "the orange part of h=it tells you how long winter is going to be."

Baden shared a book with the class today.
Baden "It's a Rogue One book. It tells you about the characters if you haven't seen the movie."
Luca "Do they fight in it?
Baden "It tells you about the guys Luca. It kinda does but it doesn't show pictures of fighting
Jack "Where did you buy it?"
Baden "I bought it in California."
Ethan "What are the character's names?"
Baden "Darth Vader, General Marther. CPSO. There's a lot of them."
Else "Is this real?"
Baden "Yes, some of it is.
River "Did you use a plane or a car to get there?
Baden  "A car."

Language Arts.....
Echo came to visit. We reviewed our letters as usual, but Echo shared a new letter, "Gg." We looked at objects that all started with the letter Gg. Glove, glue, glasses, glass, gum, golf ball. We practiced coloring in pictures of things that started with the letter G.


Science...
We started our new unit about Structure and Function.
1.) Engineer - a person who asks questions, observes, gathers info and invents things.
2.) Structure - thinking about it's shape and size. Thinking about how big, small or the shape of something that is created.
3.) Function - what we use it for.

Kids were challenged to draw a picture that might "hold water,"
ie: cup, pool, tea cup (were some ideas)
or "something you can use to clean the table."
Ethan - "cloth"
Jack - "scrubby"
Stella- "towel"
Narumi - "spray bottle"
Ashlyn - "paper towel"
Zoe - "napkin"

No comments:

Post a Comment