Friday, November 17, 2017

Engineering a Paint Brush

Morning Activities.....
                                   Pop a letter and figure out what word begins with that letter. 

                                   Coloring pages about the Pilgrims and the Mayflower.


Morning Meeting....
Pete the Cat the First Thanksgiving  by Kimberly and James Dean. A Pete the Cat version of the first Thanksgiving. It doesn't get any groovier than Pete telling the story of the Pilgrims.
I am thankful for .....
Taber "my parents." 
Else "the world"
Narum "my baby and this life."
Luca "my dog."
Nora "A lot of this land."
Ethan "my family."
Thayer "my new jewlrey box."
Jack "for living on the farm."
Sedsel "my new dress and my new coat and hat and my mask and my doggy."
River "my family in the world."
Skyler "that I didn't forget my money so I can buy a book."
Zoe "the world is still alive."
Ashlyn "my mommy and sisters and daddy and grandma and Tom."
Baden "for my family and the water so he can swim."
Willow "my cats and mommy."
Stella "for my kitten and my mommy."
Sailor "the library."
Connie "my family.
Beth "my family and my Kindergarten family."

Math ......

White board time, we have a chance to draw pictures before we do some math and these boys collaborated to make a big long picture with their white boards. Can you guess what they made?
Taber "I'm made a huge ocean."
Skyler "I got the bottom done. Oh that will make it longer."
Baden "we need an eye."
Skyler "wait lets make a shark.
Taber "That's like a place they can breathe."
Luca "Here's another board. Another board. I have another board."
Taber  "My guy will be a fin like right here. You color in my line."
Sky "That's not connected, yeah we have to use blue if its a shark."
Jack "No Taber, not all of these." 
They made a shark using many white boards. They erased it too quickly to get a picture.

We played a dice game where we roll two dice and then add one more and write that number on our white boards Once you've done it 4 times and have written the numbers correctly you get a sticker. s
Language Arts.....
We started off by settling in with a book, I'm A Turkey  by Jim Arnosky.




Today's super duper fun activity was all about making human letters! Check these out....
Thayer and Ethan make the letter "U".

 Taber, Else and Narumi make the letter "O".

Skyler and River make the letter "S"

 Jack and Sedsel make the letter "P".
 River and Skyler make the letter "T".
 Sailor and Stella make the letter "R".

Zoe and Ashlyn make the letter "A".

 Three person "A".

 Sailor and Stella make the letter "M".

 Ethan and Thayer make a 'waving M'.

 Sedsel and Jack make the letter "D".

Zoe and Ashlyn make the letter "D".

Sharing.....
Else brought in a meteor. It  is something that fell from the sky. It is special to me."
She walked around and showed it to friends.

Luca "were you there when it was falling?"
Else "NO." 
Thayer "Where did you get it?"
Else "My daddy did it."
Willow "That's cool."
Ethan "Do you know what it is called?" what does it feel like?"
Else "It's a meteor. It feels like metal."
Taber "Where did you r dad find it? In the woods or at a store?"
Else "I don't know I think it was in the woods."
River "Was it by your house?"
Else "I don't know."
Zoe "It looks like it is sharp on the ends. Is it sharp?"
Else "Kind of."
Luca "It looks like a magnet.
Else "I know."

Science ......
Today we engineered our own paint brushes.  We looked at a few different paint brushes to see what types there are. Skinny ones, wide ones, etc. Every thing in the world not in nature was made by a person. Beth held up many objects to determine what was made by a person, and what was made by nature. Then we talked about paint brushes that have already been invented. They all have a place to hold and a place to paint. We were provided many materials to make a paintbrush. Paint, pipe cleaners, popcycle sticks, tape, glue, toothpicks. pom poms and feathers.

The materials.....lots of thinking!


The designs!!!!!



The Test.....




No comments:

Post a Comment